Won’t You Be a Good Neighbor?
Volunteer with HLSA-DC at A Wider Circle!
Volunteer with HLSA-DC at A Wider Circle! We will be participating in A Wider Circle’s Essential Support Program. Our volunteers will spend a morning sorting and packing smaller items that are donated to A Wider Circle.
A Wider Circle provides basic need items to individuals and families transitioning out of homelessness, fleeing domestic abuse, or otherwise living without essentials. For many, A Wider Circle is the only resource for turning empty spaces into stable and dignified homes. For more information about A Wider Circle and its programs and additional volunteer opportunities, see https://awidercircle.org/
Volunteer with the HLSA-DC team at A Wider Circle
Saturday September 18, 2021, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
A Wider Circle
Center for Community Service
9159 Brookville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Register to Volunteer with Us Here
You are welcome to bring a guest to this event. Please RSVP for your full party so that we know how many will be attending.
The Rules, of Course!
- Volunteers must wear a mask at all times while volunteering.
- A Wider Circle requires volunteers to stay for the entire 3-hour slot.
- We will send you an email to confirm your attendance the week before our date of service. Please make every effort to attend or let us know as early as you can if you can't make it. A Wider Circle is counting on our volunteers in order to effectively serve the community. If you commit to volunteer and do not show up, A Wider Circle cannot meet its commitments.
- Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to our start time to allow ample time for a quick tour and orientation.
- A Wider Circle welcomes volunteers of all ages. However, volunteers under the age of 18 will need a volunteer waiver signed by a parent or guardian. The volunteer waiver can be found here.
- Storage space for volunteer personal belongings is limited, so please plan to travel light.
- DRESS CODE: In order to serve its clients with dignity and respect, A Wider Circle asks all volunteers to dress in a professional manner and ready to work: shorts that aren’t too short or tight, t-shirts with sleeves (shoulders covered), clothing without excessive holes, no thin leggings or baggy sweatpants. If there are any messages on shirts, they should be family friendly. A Wider Circle asks that if volunteers are wearing a hat, the hat is facing forward. Also, all volunteers must wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes (sneakers are fine). If a volunteer is not dressed professionally, then unfortunately A Wider Circle may have to ask them to return at a later time/date with appropriate attire.
A Wider Circle is located at the address above, but for GPS purposes, it may be more helpful to use Woodlin Elementary School, 2101 Luzerne Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910. The entrance is at the end of Warren St., the fourth loading dock from the intersection. Street parking is available nearby.
From Washington, D.C.: Take Georgia Avenue traveling north into Maryland. Make a left on Spring Street Then make a right onto Second Street. Then make a left at Luzerne. Follow Luzerne to find a parking spot. If you look to the right, you will see the short path you will walk through to get to A Wider Circle.
From the Beltway (Rt. 495): Take exit 31 for Georgia Avenue/Silver Spring. Travel south on Georgia Avenue, and pass Seminary Place to make a right on Seminary Road. Turn left at the stoplight at Second Avenue, and make a right onto Luzerne Avenue. Follow Luzerne to Warren Street. If you look to the right, you will see the short path you will walk through to get to A Wider Circle.
Parking: A Wider Circle does not provide on-site parking for volunteers. Please park in the Woodlin Elementary School main parking lot.
With that out of the way - we hope to see you there!